Saturday, June 30, 2012
The week-end is here again. For this weeks treat I give you "Pillow Talk"
Interior decorator Jan Morrow(my hero) and composer Brad Allen share a phone line. Brad keeps the line occupied all day talking to his girlfriends, which annoys Jan terribly and animosity between them builds up. They however have never met and when by chance Brad sees Jan, he decides to add her to his list of conquests. Knowing however how she feels about him, he poses as an innocent Texan country boy named Rex Stetson to win her.
A tasty themed treat to eat while watching? How about Chocolate Pillows~
* 1/2 cup port or red zinfandel*
* 1 Tbsp. sugar
* 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 2 cups canola oil or cooking oil
* 12 wonton wrappers
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 3-oz. bar bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 6 pieces
* Vanilla ice cream
* Grated bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
1. For sauce, in a small saucepan heat port to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; cook and stir 1 minute. Add cherries; cook 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter; cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees F. While oil heats, lightly brush edges of one wonton wrapper with some of the beaten egg. Place 1 piece of chocolate in center atop wonton wrapper. Place another wonton wrapper atop. Press edges to seal.
3. Cook filled wontons, one at a time, in hot oil for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning frequently to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature. Cool wontons slightly. Sprinkle wontons evenly with sugar.
4. Serve wontons with sauce and ice cream. Sprinkle ice cream with grated chocolate and serve with two spoons. Makes 2 servings.
5. *Test kitchen tip: If using zinfandel, increase sugar in sauce to 2 tablespoons.
Posted by Pink Peony at 7:46 AM