Friday, March 19, 2010

~How To Walk in Heels


My friend's daughter & I were walking through the store yesterday. She points to this poor awkward young woman trying to walk in heels. She looked in pain & couldn't keep up walking with her co-worker. My young friend smiles at me knowing she will never have that problem. Only last year her Mother asked me to help her daughter learn how to walk in heels. Never having really worn them herself. My Mother taught me at a young age. Since then I have taught my best friend & countless other. Funny enough I don't wear than much myself but, when I do I have no fear. So here is what my Mom taught me. No Fears Ladies!

How to Walk in Heels...
* Start small. If you’ve never walked in high heels before, don’t start out learning with 5 inch stilettos . Try something smaller, like a 2 inch heel kitty heel or wedge to get used to the feeling. You can always work your way up to those stilettos.

* Walk toe heel. Don't put your whole foot down at once,I call that "The Clydesdale Stomp". Your legs should be straight and your knees together. But, let your body go natural. Stiffen up your whole body and you will look like you are in pain.

*Body straight, stand tall. Shoulders back. Try the old walk with a book on your head. This works!It gives you balance & a nice straight line.

* Walk in a straight line. Find a line on the floor & practice. This will keep you from looking like Bambi on the ice.

Walking in heels in a learned skill. It doesn't come natural for anyone. So give it plenty of practice before your big night out.






Strawberry Foot Exfoliant
By Pioneer Thinking
Mix together 8 strawberries with 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or safflower oil) and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of finely chopped almonds.
Make a paste with the ingredients but don't over blend it since the strawberries contain so much water it will make it too liquidy. Massage it all into your feet, rinse off and dry.

2 comments:

BonjourRomance said...

Great tips, I wear heels quite a bit but some days I just can't seem to get into the swing of things - translation: I can be a klutz!
Your Mom sounds wonderful!
Happy weekend,
Mimi

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

You have a fabulous blog! And your quote from Audrey Hepburn sums up your style! Love it.
Thank you for this much needed tutorial. I say- if you can't do it gracefully- don't! So many beautiful, healthy girls walk slumped over plodding along. I also think it is a matter of confidence and being comfortable one's own skin. You have a wise friend to care that her daughter learn and be comfortable inside and out! I am going to enjoy some of your archives now! Have a wonderul, blessed day! So nice to meet you!
Yvonne